Thursday, March 21, 2013

Review: The Raft - S.A. Bodeen

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: August 21st 2012
Page Length: 231 pages

Goodreads/Amazon/Barnes & Noble/Book Depository

Robie is an experienced traveler. She’s taken the flight from Honolulu to the Midway Atoll, a group of Pacific islands where her parents live, many times. When she has to get to Midway in a hurry after a visit with her aunt in Hawaii, she gets on the next cargo flight at the last minute. She knows the pilot, but on this flight, there’s a new co-pilot named Max. All systems are go until a storm hits during the flight. The only passenger, Robie doesn’t panic until the engine suddenly cuts out and Max shouts at her to put on a life jacket. They are over miles of Pacific Ocean. She sees Max struggle with a raft.

And then . . . she’s in the water. Fighting for her life. Max pulls her onto the raft, and that’s when the real terror begins. They have no water. Their only food is a bag of Skittles. There are sharks. There is an island. But there’s no sign of help on the way.


I didn't expect to like this book really, but to my surprise I really did. Robbie wasn't how I thought she would be before I started this book, I kind of expected her to be kind of tough, but really she was kind of a wuss. I can get that though she is young and all, so in a way it worked for her. Once the real meat of the story gets rolling her wuss status started to drive me nuts, until I realized that she really was being strong and tough. She might have argued about doing something but in the end it got done.


I was on the edge of my seat the whole time she was in the raft. I prayed for rain and other miracles. I was scared for her. I couldn't imagine being in her situation as scared as I was as just a reader I don't think I could Handel being in that situation. It took me a little bit just about up to the reveal to figure out her coping mechanism. I was shocked and not shocked all at the same time. 


Watching her struggle to make fires, and find water or food I just sat here crossing my fingers. I wanted her to survive so bad. I wanted her to do things that go against morals and normal thinking. I just wanted her to live. Once the shark was introduced into the story every time the water was mentioned my heart was in my throat. Sharks creep me out on a normal day, it's even worse when I'm reading. Survival novel. In the end when the last page was turned I truly enjoyed this book. I give this one 4 stars!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs