Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Review: Blood Magic - Tessa Gratton



  • Reading level:
  •  Young Adult
  • Hardcover:
  •  416 pages
  • Publisher:
  •  Random House Books for Young Readers (May 24, 2011)

It starts off simply.
Draw a circle ... place a dead leaf in the center ... sprinkle some salt ... recite a little Latin ... add a drop of blood ...
Maybe that last part isn't exactly simple. Yet somehow it feels right to Silla Kennicott. And nothing in her life has felt remotely right since her parents' horrific deaths. She's willing to do anything to uncover the truth about her family—even try a few spells from the mysterious book that arrived on her doorstep ... and spill some blood.
The book isn't the only recent arrival in Silla's life. There's Nick Pardee, the new guy next door who may have seen Silla casting a spell. She's not sure what he saw and is afraid to find out. But as they spend more time together, Silla realizes this may not be Nick's first encounter with Blood Magic. Brought together by a combination of fate and chemistry, Silla and Nick can't deny their attraction. And they can't ignore the dark presence lurking nearby—waiting to reclaim the book and all its power.
Tessa Gratton's intoxicating first novel will keep pulses racing, minds reeling, and pages turning right up to the very last drop of blood.

My Thoughts...
I have had a great book year so far.  If you flip back through my reviews for the past few months you will see a lot of 4 - 5 star books.  I am adding this one to the list too! This story was original and fresh. Yes magic/witches have been popular but this story was different from all the others. Silla, I want a friend like Silla, she has dealt with things that she shouldn't have had to, and through out this story more just gets piled on her. Yet she still managed to get up and do what needed to get done. Nick was pretty cool too although at times his attitude put me off. Reese...I want one! He stole my heart. He came through as an amazing brother and overall good guy. I have to say there were a few things that happened that left me sitting there in shock. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book and I lost quite a bit of sleep because I just had to know what happened next.  This was an amazing ride that I didn't want to end. I do have to applaud the author for her amazing use of blood that didn't have a vampire running around bathing in it. This was a very welcome change. I give this one 5 stars and a very high recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs