Monday, March 12, 2012

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter - Jana Oliver

Paperback:  448 pages
Publisher:  MacMillan Children's Books
Language:  English

Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that’s exactly what the demons are counting on...
Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get—even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.
But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood. And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart—and her life?


My Thoughts...

I don't know why it took so long for me to start this book. I have heard nothing but good things about it. Mrs. Oliver has come up with a main character that has wormed her way into my heart. Riley was awesome! She showed determination, spunk, strength, and had a kick-ass attitude that make me say. "I am in love!" more than once. Her sarcasm, whit, and snark had me giggling at times. As soon as I flipped the last page of this book I dove into the next. I wanted so badly to know what happened next.

My only hope for the next book is more demons! I know it sounds like a strange request, but I love with way Mrs. Oliver has built her version of our world and how she set up her demons. I want to see more fights with them like the one her and Beck had with the pyro-fiend. That was one of my favorite parts of this book, great scene, great action and shows a different side to the "relationship" Riley and Beck share. While I am talking about Beck, and before I forget...the boys in this book are totally drool worthy! Each in a different way but in the end all 3 of our major boys will make you drool. Personally I want an Ori or a Beck of my very own. Simon isn't bad, just not my type I guess. 

I have to give this one 5 stars, and I do highly recommend that if you are like me and put off reading this book/series, please do yourself a favor and wait no more...go read it...like NOW!


2 comments:

  1. Ooooh I need to read this one! Demons? Heck yes!

    Jenny at Books to the Sky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one was even better than the first and I'm reading the third now. They are great books

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs