Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Half-Blood - Jennifer L. Armentrout


Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press; 1 edition (October 18, 2011)
Language: English

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.



I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I started this one. I read just as many great reviews as I did negative. I have to say though while I see the things the negative reviews mentioned none of it bothered me. But the good things I read, I whole heartedly agree with. 

In the beginning we meet Alex who is a half blood, she is running away from daimons and not quite getting away. Enter Aiden and company to the rescue. From there we are submerged into the lives, beliefs, and ways of the Pures and Half-Bloods. Alex is dangerously close to becoming a servant in the home of her Pure stepfather. all she wants is to finish her training and become a sentinel. The problem? Her mother took her and ran away which put Alex very far behind in her training. Aiden the very hott Pure volunteered to train her during the summer to try to get her caught up with the others her age.  During all this Alex starts to feel things for Aiden, which is very bad news, Half-Bloods and Pures are not allowed to be together. As more problems are laid at her feet we watch Alex step up to the plate. she doesn't back down, she does things that I would never be able to do. She learns her destiny and even though she isn't happy with it, she stares it in the face. 

Alex is a strong character who amazed me over and over throughout this book. The action was tense and exciting. The lore behind this world sucked me in. Aiden was another great character who usually left me in a puddle on the floor. I think I'm babbling hehe. Jennifer has made a huge fan out of me. Rich lore, great characters, plenty of action, snark, and some steamy bits! This one gets 5 stars from me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs