Thursday, April 25, 2013

Review: Dark Frost - Jennifer Estep


Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Mythos Academy #3
Pages: 336
Publisher: Kensington
Release Date: 5/29/12
ISBN-13: 9780758280039

Goodreads/Amazon/Barnes & Noble/Book Depository

I've seen so many freaky things since I started attending Mythos Academy last fall. I know I'm supposed to be a fearless warrior, but most of the time, I feel like I'm just waiting for the next Bad, Bad Thing to happen. Like someone trying to kill me--again.

Everyone at Mythos Academy knows me as Gwen Frost, the Gypsy girl who uses her psychosymetry magic to find lost objects--and who just may be dating Logan Quinn, the hottest guy in school. But I'm also the girl the Reapers of Chaos want dead in the worst way. The Reapers are the baddest of the bad, the people who murdered my mom. So why do they have it in for me? It turns out my mom hid a powerful artifact called the Helheim Dagger before she died. Now, the Reapers will do anything to get it back. They think I know where the dagger is hidden, but this is one thing I can't use my magic to find. All I do know is that the Reapers are coming for me--and I'm in for the fight of my life.


The more of these books I read the more I love them. They re so rich in mythology and a solid story with great characters to back it up. I'm not sure how Mrs Estep does it but I hope she keeps it up.


There wasn't much that happened here that I didn't enjoy. Daphne and Carson were still with us and they both had a few interesting things happen to them. Logan of course was still here and the tension between him and Gwen is perfect. Our professors are all still with us, and we even got o learn a little more about Nicomedeas, which I enjoyed very much. I love how these characters all have depth they aren't just filler on the page.


Our villains were also creepy and very well written. I had my guesses at who our bad guy was in this one a for once I turned out to be right, but getting to that part in the story was a bumpy ride that had me a little stressed out for Gwen. One thing I will say is hat these books pull no punches. Our bad guys are truly bad and nasty, and while they will dish it out, they also get it back sometimes in spades. 


This story really lays it all out on the line for Gwen. The stakes can't get any higher, or the pressure much heavier. Everyone stands to lose something, and some stand to lose everything. This was an amazing addition to his wonderful series. I give this book 5 stars and am willing to go out and give this whole series 5 stars. Please, go read these books if you haven't already





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs