Monday, April 4, 2011

Review: Bumped - Megan McCafferty



Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (April 26, 2011)


Then a virus makes everyone over the age of eighteen infertile, would-be parents are forced to pay teen girls to conceive and give birth to their children, making teens the most prized members of society.
Sixteen-year-old identical twins Melody and Harmony were separated at birth and had never met until the day Harmony shows up on Melody’s doorstep. Until now, the twins have followed completely opposite paths. Melody has scored an enviable conception contract with a couple called the Jaydens. While they are searching for the perfect partner for Melody to bump with, she is fighting her attraction to her best friend Zen, who is way too short for the job.
Harmony has spent her whole life in religious Goodside, preparing to be a wife and mother. She believes her calling is to bring Melody back to Goodside and convince her that “pregging” for profit is a sin. But Harmony has secrets of her own that she is running from.
When Melody is finally matched with the world-famous, genetically flawless Jondoe, both girls’ lives are changed forever. A case of mistaken identity takes them on a journey neither could have ever imagined, one that makes Melody and Harmony realize they have so much more than just DNA in common.


Well I have to admit I was desperate to get my hands on this book, but I wasn't totally sure why.  Yeah its got a cool yet plain cover and I've seen it pop up all over the blogosphere but I wasn't sure it was something I would really like.  I am a huge paranormal fan who is only recently dipping my toes into the dystopian pool, and this book is kinda written about a touchy subject.  To my pleasant surprise though I really enjoyed it.   Separated at birth identical twins come face to face and while they appear to be total opposites they share more than just a face.  I liked how the whole idea of teen pregnancy was handled.  While some girls choose to use there body's for profits, others the "Churchys" believe that marriage and raising children is the right way.  I also think the glimpses of Melody's friends shows yet another aspect of the life style some of these girls have chosen.  I liked watching the change in both Melody and Harmony as the story progressed and I am anxiously awaiting the second book.  This book really sends both girls lives and the lives of quite a few people into upheaval.  I found myself hoping Zen would get what he wants and that Johndoe was being honest at the end.  I also couldn't help but hope that somehow Ram gets his HEA.  The only thing about this book that I had trouble with was the slang, but once I got about halfway through it didn't seem to effect me any more.  I really believe that Megan has something very special on her hands with this series she took one of today's hottest and most controversial topics and spun it into a story that will really make you stop and think about the issues at hand. I give this one 4.5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs