Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: Angelfire - Courtney Allison Moulton



Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 464 pages
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (February 15, 2011)


First there are nightmares. Every night Ellie is haunted by terrifying dreams of monstrous creatures that are hunting her, killing her. Then come the memories. When Ellie meets Will, she feels on the verge of remembering something just beyond her grasp. His attention is intense and romantic, and Ellie feels like her soul has known him for centuries. On her seventeenth birthday, on a dark street at midnight, Will awakens Ellie's power, and she knows that she can fight the creatures that stalk her in the grim darkness. Only Will holds the key to Ellie's memories, whole lifetimes of them, and when she looks at him, she can no longer pretend anything was just a dream. Now she must hunt. Ellie has power that no one can match, and her role is to hunt and kill the reapers that prey on human souls. But in order to survive the dangerous and ancient battle of the angels and the Fallen, she must also hunt for the secrets of her past lives and truths that may be too frightening to remember.




Wow, just wow. I am sitting here staring at my screen after literaly just finishing this book and all I can come up with is Wow!  Three little letters seems to me to be a lame review so I will see what I can do here but I am rather speachless.  I think this might have been one of the best books I have ever read! I LOVE Ellie! I like that she isn't super girl, she really doesn't want to be super girl.  She just wants to be normal and have a cute car, movie nights with her friends, and the ocassinal party.  I also appreciate that she isn't portrayed as perfect as the book goes on you can see that she is flawed and does make mistakes sh also seems very ready to own up to those meistakes as much as she can.  Now while I am sitting here saying she isn't super girl the description above says other wise, these powers are something that she never wished for or asked for its just her.  You watch her remember and cope with things as the story goes on, she never truly backs down from her purpose or duty but there were times where hiding under the bed might have been a nice option.  Again I say I LOVE Ellie!! Now I also happen to love Will. There were times where I think Will broke my heart, he is so devoted to Ellie and his responsibiltys to her.  Watching Ellie grow to accept and remember herself and powers and overcome old fears and work threw new revelations was a rollercoaster for me. Some scenes I was holding my breath wondering what was going to happen next. I'm not sure now that I've gotten going that I ever want to stop prasing this book (ok maybe I'll stop when I can praise the second one). The dynamic between Ellie and Will seemed so genuine to me that I really can't wait to see where there story ends up. I also really liked the bad guys in this book, not in the cheering them on kind of way, but in the they were some well done spooky guys.  There is nothing like some good old fashion well written evil to keep me interested.  The other thing I have a problem with in some books is how the action scenes are written some times they aren't easy to follow or the pacing is way off for the scene but I feel the author did a great job with them.   There are a few things I would have liked to have seen addressed before the end of this book, but I'm sure as the series goes on they will be addressed.  The one thing that sticks out to me like a soar thumb is I have a feeling on one of the characters that I just can't shake, I feel this person may not be what they appear and I really am curious as to how this is going to work into future books if I am correct in my theory.  If I could give this book 6 starts for Wowing me so throughly I would but alas I am only given 5 to work with. So I am going to have to give this book 5 stars and hope and pray that the wait for book number 2 isn't too long. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs