Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: This Side of the Grave - Jeaniene Frost


Reading Level: Adult
Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Avon (February 22, 2011)


Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance...
With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing.  A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"--the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war. ...to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.

                    

I was a little nervous to read this book, I've heard mixed reviews about it. By mixed reviews I don't mean any bad reviews just people saying they didn't feel the normal Cat and Bones connection that we had in the past.  I personally have to disagree. I thought the vulnerability we saw from Cat at the thought of facing a life without Bones was very touching.  I enjoyed seeing them not arguing like we have in previous books, and I also enjoyed the time they spend apart, it served as a reminder that Cat can stand alone without Bones to hold her up.  Now while I find Bones totally mouth watering I loved all the face time that Vlad got (still not so patiently waiting for a Vlad novel) I was a little disappointed at the lack of Ian though!  I feel that the story was well presented and wrapped up for this book, and after reading the first chapter of the next I am curious for where we are headed. I only wish someone would have told me to keep some tissues handy! Overall I would say that this addition to the series was as enjoyable and fulfilling as the ones that came before it.  If you are a fan of the series or are simply looking for a new series  I would suggest it/them highly. This is one that I must award 5 stars!

Previous Books in the Series:


Halfway to the Grave
One Foot in the Grave
At Grave's End
Destined for an Early Grave



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog design by Imagination Designs